Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book reviews

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz - This was terrific.  I bought it in Berlin and finished it on the flight home.  It was the first book that I've ever read by Junot Diaz and I came away very impressed.  It's a collection of short stories centered around Diaz's alter-ego, Yunior, discussing relationships and the DR to NY/NJ immigrant experience.  I'm not sure that I've ever read a collection of short stories that I couldn't put down.  The voices are so distinct and the characters so fleshed out despite short length of the pieces.  I will likely read the Oscar Wao book now as well when I get a chance.  Highly recommended!

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré - I read this during my recent Berlin trip and enjoyed it. It was intelligent, interesting, and gripping at points. Lots of tricky plot twists, and he hides the ball cleverly enough that you're never quite sure what is going on and what will happen next. It never totally caught me though, and, while I was intrigued, I would have been okay putting it down and never knowing how it ended. And while I enjoyed it, I wasn't sad for it to end, nor excited to read le Carré's other George Smily novels.



No comments:

Post a Comment