Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Middle class life in the Cote d'Ivoire

BBC Africa gives two examples of what middle class life is like in the Cote d'Ivoire.  On the good side, the economy sounds much stronger than it did a few years ago:  
During the crisis I had to stop working; I lost everything; I had to spend all my savings just to live, to eat.
Now I put money aside every day. I started my savings again just five months ago because I want to buy a computer. Maybe in three months I will have enough money to buy one.
Right now I don't find I have enough money to do what I want to do because I need to pay for so many things so it's not easy to start a good business.
If one of my brothers calls me and says he needs money, I give him some money. I have two younger brothers and three sisters; I'm the eldest.
I cannot say I'm wealthy but I cannot say I'm poor because if I'm living it means I can sustain my life.
Unfortunately, there are still serious repercussions from the crisis: 
My father died in 2004 and that's when I stopped going to school because I had to work to find money.
It was hard to find work then because it was just after the first crisis. Everyone fled to Abidjan and everybody needed jobs.
I don't have any savings or any emergency fund. There is nothing in my bank account. 
Everything I earn goes on rent, bills and food. There's nothing left for savings. 
When there's a death in my family I go to my friends for help, to give me a little something. It's like that.
Yes I am scared if I lose my job because there will be nothing to pay for my rent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment