Sunday, September 8, 2013

Book Review: Radio Congo: Signals of Hope from Africa's Deadliest War

Radio Congo: Signals of Hope from Africa's Deadliest War by Ben Rawlence 

My 2nd "guy going to Africa" book in the past month. This was the better of the two (or perhaps just the more relevant and contemporary). 

I've never been to sub-Saharan Africa before, and I have no real idea of what to expect, which is what makes these books interesting at the moment. This was well-written and engaging. It did a good job of giving color to daily life in the Congo. The characters (both African and European) were all a bit hollow still, but they had some level of complexity and I enjoyed his ability to write about individuals as individuals rather than archetypes. I didn't find his observations to be super insightful, but the writing was lively, and I enjoyed traveling along on his adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment